The gourmet weekend will return to WA’s wine growing region in November, and will feature appearances by no less than 40 culinary stars including celebrity chefs Nigella Lawson as well as much-loved food writer and TV cook Rick Stein
Margaret River Gourmet Escape will return this November 16-18 for the seventh annual instalment of the food and wine festival, with celebrity chef Nigella Lawson set to attend the event for the second time.
In total, 40 culinary stars will be in attendance in Western Australia’s South West, with crowd-favourites Rick Stein, Tetsuya Wakuda, Matt Stone, Jo Barrett, Mitch Orr and Guy Grossi attending the event. They will be joined by an impressive line-up of new culinary talent, and will collectively host over 45 events in more than 25 unique and breathtaking locations in the Margaret River region.
Hot off the World’s 50 Best Restaurants List announcement last month, Julien Royer (Odette SING, Number 28), James Lowe (Lyle’s UK, Number 38) and Ashley Palmer-Watts (Dinner by Heston Blumenthal UK, Number 42) will also make their way to Margaret River to host a series of unique and memorable dining experiences.
The heartbeat of the festival will be the Gourmet Village, set on the stunning grounds of Leeuwin Estate Winery with more than 120 artisan food producers, winemakers and brewers from around Western Australia, alongside visiting chefs and wine experts setting up on the grounds. Guests can enjoy cooking demonstrations at the Chef’s Amphitheatre, hear intimate panel discussions at Consuming Conversations and enjoy live music, and children will have the chance to get their hands dirty with kids cooking classes.
Past favourite events to take place again in 2018 include the Gourmet Beach BBQ, Feast in the Forest, Sunset, Beats & Bites, Fraser Gallop Estate Long Lunch and Dining by Twilight at Margaret River’s Secret Garden, while a series of new events will also premier on the menu this year, including:
- The Amelia Park Spring Harvest Dinner with Skye Gyngell
- Smith & Daughters 90s Trattoria Dinner at Wise vineyard
- Caves Road Cantina at Black Brewing Co. with two of the world’s most accomplished Mexican chefs, Edgar Nunez from Sud 777 MEX (Number 64 in The World’s 50 Best Restaurants) and Rosio Sanchez from world-renowned taqueria Hija de Sanchez in Copenhagen
- Chow’s Table Chinese Feast with Andrew Wong from London’s Michelin-starred A Wong, Victor Liong from the super hip Melbourne laneway diner Lee Ho Fook, and local hero and host Malcom Chow, owner of the recently opened Chow’s Table in Yallingup
- Fishtales with Rick Stein at Wills Domain
- Niki Nakayama’s Chef’s Table at Miki’s Open Kitchen, hosted by Niki Nakayama from Los Angeles’ modern kaiseki restaurant n/naka and one of the stars of Chef’s Table on Netflix – an exclusive event with just 36 seats
- Lyle’s V’s Ester Dinner at Larry Cherubino Winery, which will reunite James Lowe of London’s beloved Lyle’s, with Mat Lindsay – Australian Gourmet Traveller Chef of the Year 2018 and chef-owner of Ester in Sydney
- Guy Grossi Aboard Ocean Dream, which will transport guests along the stunning Geographe Bay in an Ocean Dream Charters luxury, 25-metre twin-catamaran, where they will enjoy the ultimate Italian summer canapé reception with matched beverages, prepared by Italian celebrity chef Guy Grossi
Wine-lovers will be equally spoilt for choice this year, with the prestigious Cape Mentelle International Cabernet Tasting and Long Lunch with commentary by Sarah Ahmed (Friday 16 November), the Cullen Chardonnay Tasting & Lunch, with lunch by Tetsuya Wakuda (Saturday 17 November), and the annual Leeuwin Art Series Dinner (Friday 16 November). Vasse Felix, Arimia Estate, Cape Lodge, Yarri Restaurant and Fermoy Estate will also be joining the party in 2018, hosting distinct and unforgettable food and wine events over the weekend’s program of events.
Tickets are on sale now and the full programme of events can be found here.