Switzerland makes an almost perfect winter destination with its powder-coated, majestic Alps, but this year, we discover Switzerland is just as exciting (and often surprising) in the summer. Ready to dive in?
From adventure-seekers and history buffs to fine dining connoisseurs, wine snobs and spa enthusiasts, Switzerland is a country that caters to practically every type of traveller. Its cities are home to some of the world’s best fine dining, perfect for couples, while those travelling with the kids will love the variety of activities on offer, all accessible by the country’s expansive and family-friendly rail network. Flag-throwing, castle-exploring, outdoor waterslides and cycling in the vineyards, there is so much more to offer than just those ultimate mountain vistas and rolling green hills Switzerland is known for in Australia. Here’s 20 reasons to take a break from the sunburnt country and head to the Continent this summer.
1. Swim in some of the most picturesque outdoor swimming pools in Europe
2. Hire a bike and go riding on one of the country’s many spectacular scenic cycling routes, or…
4. Soak up those sunny, Mediterranean holiday vibes, without the crowds of Italy or France
5. Do wine tasting at the UNESCO-protected golden Lavaux Vineyard terraces – the largest continuous vineyard region in Switzerland – and at the highest vineyard in Europe
6. Explore castles (some heralding from the 11th century)!
7. Discover ancient Roman ruins
8. Visit the Schnapps and Absinthe Theatres (yes, these really exist)
9. Learn the national tradition of flag throwing (yes, this is a thing!)
10. White water raft through one of the Alps’ most popular white water runs
11. Visit the fortress cities of Schaffhausen and Aarburg
12. Take a dip in the thermal pools and spas – something that is likely to relax you even more than that schnapps you had earlier…
13. Hike your way to some of the world’s best whisky
15. Learn about the Swiss art of cheese-making (and then indulge in some cheese-tasting, of course) at an eye-wateringly beautiful abbey
16. Camp under the stars, in a bubble…
17. Go on the longest Alpine thermal water slide in Europe
18. Put your feet in four countries at once… sort of. Step into the waters of Lake Toma – the source of the Rhine and the only place where the river that traverses four countries can be crossed with one step.
20. Just stop and take in the scenery